The GLA:D exercise Program
Your Frontline approach to managing Knee and hip osteoarthritis.
Did you know that osteoarthritis affects about one in eleven Australians. That’s 2.2 million Australians. Osteoarthritis is caused by things we can’t change such as your genetics, gender and age, as well as modifiable factors such as a previous joint injury, being overweight, lack of muscle strength, over loaded joints and physical inactivity.
Clinical guidelines recommend exercise, education and weight loss (if needed) as front line treatment. However too often clinical practice doesn’t follow these recommendations and instead relies on medication and referrals to an orthopaedic surgeons.
What is the GLA:D program?
The GLA:D Program, or Good Life with Arthritis, Denmark Program, is an exercise and education program developed by researchers in Denmark for people with knee and hip osteoarthritis symptoms. Exercise and education offer a better and safer alternative to surgery. Research in Denmark has shown the GLA:D program reduced symptoms by 32%.Recorded symptom improvements included less pain, reduced medication use and improved function. On follow up studies showed increased levels of physical activity 12 months after starting the program.
The program is unique in that the exercises and education can be applied to everyday activities. The goal is to strengthen and correct daily movement patterns of the participants to train their bodies to move properly, prevent symptom progression and reduce pain.
What is involved?
The GLA:D program is an exercise and education program reflecting the most up to date research backed way of managing people with hip and knee osteoarthritis symptoms.
The program includes:
- An Initial Appointment: to assess and collect data on the current function and problems faced by the participant, and to explain the GLA:D program.
- Two FREE education sessions which will help to educate you about osteoarthritis, how to manage it and how the GLA:D program can help.
- 12 group exercises sessions completed twice a week over 6 weeks working on exercises to reduce symptoms and improve your quality of life.
- A Follow up review session 12 weeks after the commencement of the program to assess progress and results so far.
Can I do the GLA:D program?
The GLA:D program can be completed by anyone suffering osteoarthritis symptoms of the hip or knee, regardless of the severity.
You may not complete the GLA:D program if you:
- Have another cause for your pain such as inflammatory joint disease, a fracture, a soft tissue cause or tumor.
- Suffer other symptoms that are more pronounced than the osteoarthritis problems.
- Are non-English speaking.
The initial and follow up appointments are priced as physiotherapy appointments. The two education sessions are provided at no cost. The 12 exercise sessions are $420 ($35 per session). No referral is needed. You can discuss with your doctor to see if you qualify for a Health Care Plan, which would cover part of the cost of the program. You can also check with your health insurer, Workcover, TAC and DVA.
The GLA:D Program can only be provided by a GLA:D trained practitioner. To find out more contact me at 95216633 (Sandringham) or 0414199664 (Oakleigh) or CLICK HERE to book your appointment today.
A great resource to check out is https://gladaustralia.com.au/ for further information.