The GLA:D program is a 6 week exercise and education program provided by a certified physiotherapist reflecting the most up to date research helping people manage with hip and knee osteoarthritis.
Did you know that osteoarthritis affects about one in eleven Australians? That’s 2.2 million Australians! Many risk factors exist that increase your likelihood of developing the condition. Whilst some risk factors can not be altered many are modifiable. These include being overweight, a lack of muscle strength, over loaded joints and physical inactivity.
Clinical guidelines recommend exercise, education and weight loss (if needed) as front line treatment. However, too often clinical practice doesn’t follow these recommendations, instead relying on medication and referrals to an orthopaedic surgeon.
Danish researchers developed The GLAD Program, or Good Life with Arthritis, Denmark Program, for people with knee and hip osteoarthritis symptoms. Exercise and education offer a better and safer alternative to surgery.
Research in Denmark has shown the GLA:D program reduced symptoms by 32% on average.
Recorded symptom improvements include less pain, reduced medication use and improved function. Follow up studies reveal an increased level of physical activity in patients 12 months after starting the program.
The goal is to strengthen, improve function, prevent symptom progression and reduce pain.
What does the program involve?
The GLA:D exercise program includes:
- Initial Appointment: to assess and fully understand your current level of function and pain, to explain the GLA:D program and to cover any questions you may have.
- Two education sessions: which will help to educate you about osteoarthritis, how to manage it and how the GLA:D program can help.
- 12 group exercises sessions: completed twice a week over 6 weeks working on exercises to reduce symptoms and improve your quality of life.
- A Follow Up Appointment: to reassess your condition 12 weeks after commencing the program.
Can I do the program?
Anyone suffering osteoarthritis symptoms of the hip or knee, regardless of the severity, can complete The GLA:D program. You may not complete the GLA:D program if you:
- Have another cause for your pain such as inflammatory joint disease, a fracture, a soft tissue cause or tumour.
- Have other symptoms that are more pronounced than the osteoarthritis problems.
- Are unable to communicate in English.
Cost of the GLA:D exercise Program
The initial and follow up appointments are priced as physiotherapy appointments. The two education sessions are provided at no cost. The 12 exercise sessions are $420 ($35 per session). No referral is needed. You can discuss with your doctor to see if you qualify for a Health Care Plan, which would cover part of the cost of the program. You can also check with your health insurer, Workcover, TAC and DVA.
Like or Share this article with a friend if you think they would benefit from this program.
To find out more contact us on 9521 6633 (Sandringham) or 0414 199 664 (Oakleigh). The GLA:D Exercise Program is available from both Point2Point Physiotherapy practices.
For further information read more here about the structure of GLAD at Point 2 Point Physiotherapy.